Take time to smell the roses... and ponder
PWS. I’ve been thinking about it for the past week, on and off, thinking about it. Not many people know about it, it’s one of those unnoticed things in this world. Even if you try and look it up scientific books you’ll be hard pressed to find out what it is.
It’s a genetic disorder that makes you crave food, stores any non vegetable food as fat and prevents you from burning that fat in your body. So people with SWP can only eat vegetables, anything like biscuits or chocolate they eat etc will be forever stored in their body and their food cravings cause them to have extreme mood swings. They can’t eat any luxury food or else they’ll die from all the fat stored… and yet this disorder makes them crave it at the same time.
I was tempted to turn the TV off; watching depressing programs isn’t exactly everyone’s cup of coffee. If you’re read this far you might even be feeling how I was feeling at the time. You know where this is going, you know the punch line, you even know it’ll create negative emotions and cause you think about life. You’ve heard countless stories of similar scenarios, there’s nothing new. But I kept watching, I’m still not sure why.
The TV program showed two families that had PWS children. Both children were in their 20s. One was a girl that was trying desperately to control her disorder yet at many times she gave in to her cravings and ate stuff like biscuits and chicken. Hence she was very fat with no way to lose it. Her father was about to put her in a ‘home’ so that people can look after her eating habits. They interviewed this girl and bar her disorder she was like any other person. She wanted to get married, have kids, get a job and pretty much enjoy life to the full. But, I dunno you can’t really describe it in words, but you could just sense in her voice that she knew her dreams would never come true - that in the next few years she’d most probably ‘eat herself to death’. A tinge of sadness finished each of her words. It showed her in her apartment, eating a bowl of vegetables by herself. You could feel the emptiness and loneliness of the room.
The other person was an Indian guy that lived with his family. He travelled to India to try and find a cure from his Buddhist God. However his pilgrim for a cure failed. As a result he became depressed and started eating taboo foods, drinking alcohol and smoking. His worried parents kept reminding him that he would die if he continued yet all it achieved was a very angry response from him. His parents couldn’t force him to do anything; he was an adult after all. You could see the desperate pleas from his parents trying to reason with him. Yet he didn’t listen. He continued to gain weight and he took his frustration and blame out on his parents. It’s like you could sense that he knew he was in the wrong, that his parents were right, that he would die soon if he didn’t change his eating habits and yet… you could also sense that he just wanted to pretend he was normal like everyone else, rebel against his disorder. In the end, he tried to sue his parents. The story ended with the mother saying that she loves her son no matter what he does, that she would always look after him and never be angry at him amid his many mood swings.
Now I dunno exactly where I’m going with this post. It wasn’t intended to make you feel guilty nor was it an attempt to prevent you wanting more for your life. We shouldn’t feel bad or guilty about who we are and we should most definitely want the best for our lives.
Not sure if what I’m going to say even fits in but I get a sense that we shouldn’t act on feeling bad but act with a positive change. If reading this made you feel bad then I’m sorry. Or if you didn’t like my way of writing then I guess I’m sorry too. I still don’t know what exactly but I hope, like me, it’s caused you to think.
(I’ll redo the links by next post).
It’s a genetic disorder that makes you crave food, stores any non vegetable food as fat and prevents you from burning that fat in your body. So people with SWP can only eat vegetables, anything like biscuits or chocolate they eat etc will be forever stored in their body and their food cravings cause them to have extreme mood swings. They can’t eat any luxury food or else they’ll die from all the fat stored… and yet this disorder makes them crave it at the same time.
I was tempted to turn the TV off; watching depressing programs isn’t exactly everyone’s cup of coffee. If you’re read this far you might even be feeling how I was feeling at the time. You know where this is going, you know the punch line, you even know it’ll create negative emotions and cause you think about life. You’ve heard countless stories of similar scenarios, there’s nothing new. But I kept watching, I’m still not sure why.
The TV program showed two families that had PWS children. Both children were in their 20s. One was a girl that was trying desperately to control her disorder yet at many times she gave in to her cravings and ate stuff like biscuits and chicken. Hence she was very fat with no way to lose it. Her father was about to put her in a ‘home’ so that people can look after her eating habits. They interviewed this girl and bar her disorder she was like any other person. She wanted to get married, have kids, get a job and pretty much enjoy life to the full. But, I dunno you can’t really describe it in words, but you could just sense in her voice that she knew her dreams would never come true - that in the next few years she’d most probably ‘eat herself to death’. A tinge of sadness finished each of her words. It showed her in her apartment, eating a bowl of vegetables by herself. You could feel the emptiness and loneliness of the room.
The other person was an Indian guy that lived with his family. He travelled to India to try and find a cure from his Buddhist God. However his pilgrim for a cure failed. As a result he became depressed and started eating taboo foods, drinking alcohol and smoking. His worried parents kept reminding him that he would die if he continued yet all it achieved was a very angry response from him. His parents couldn’t force him to do anything; he was an adult after all. You could see the desperate pleas from his parents trying to reason with him. Yet he didn’t listen. He continued to gain weight and he took his frustration and blame out on his parents. It’s like you could sense that he knew he was in the wrong, that his parents were right, that he would die soon if he didn’t change his eating habits and yet… you could also sense that he just wanted to pretend he was normal like everyone else, rebel against his disorder. In the end, he tried to sue his parents. The story ended with the mother saying that she loves her son no matter what he does, that she would always look after him and never be angry at him amid his many mood swings.
Now I dunno exactly where I’m going with this post. It wasn’t intended to make you feel guilty nor was it an attempt to prevent you wanting more for your life. We shouldn’t feel bad or guilty about who we are and we should most definitely want the best for our lives.
Not sure if what I’m going to say even fits in but I get a sense that we shouldn’t act on feeling bad but act with a positive change. If reading this made you feel bad then I’m sorry. Or if you didn’t like my way of writing then I guess I’m sorry too. I still don’t know what exactly but I hope, like me, it’s caused you to think.
(I’ll redo the links by next post).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home