Dreams only dreamt
When I grew up, I always wanted to be a fireman. I don’t know exactly why. Wearing that bright red fire hat, rescuing cats from trees, battling raging fires. I guess there was always something interesting happening being a fireman, the sense of danger? Maybe that’s why I signed up to the war.
It was love at first sight when I met Elysia. She had these cute freckles on her nose and her smile just warmed my heart. I loved listening to her talk about her day, her tears, her bursts of laughter. She was the girl I wanted to marry. I just wanted to always be with her and to impress her deeply. Perhaps that’s why I became a soldier.
I always wanted a son. I’d name him Eric. I could imagine him being a real tough boy but gentle as well. As a second child, I wanted to have a daughter. I was still undecided on a name, maybe name her Mary? I wanted my kids to be proud of their father, to know that their daddy defended his country with courage.
I never knew when I would die. If I could pick a time to die, it’d be after I see my children’s children grow up. That would be ideal. I never knew I’d see my life bleed away at the age of eighteen.
Everyone has dreams and aspirations for their life. I never let go of mine, I kept them with me as I sailed to the front, treasured them as I fought the battles and watched them slip away as I faded away in the muddy trenches.
I now look around as the world passes by each year. I see men rushing off to work, children playing in the backyard and mothers tending to the clothes - each with their own ambitions and dreams. I notice couples saying ‘I do’ to each other, I watch as firemen race off to the rescue and I look about as sons and daughters head off to school each day. Peace abounds in the air. Freedom roams their lives.
I was never able to experience life like they do, to feel and touch a life’s desire; to marry, to sip tea in the sunset, to play with the grand kids. The things I desired in my life were never realised.
I gave up my dreams so you could have yours.
It was love at first sight when I met Elysia. She had these cute freckles on her nose and her smile just warmed my heart. I loved listening to her talk about her day, her tears, her bursts of laughter. She was the girl I wanted to marry. I just wanted to always be with her and to impress her deeply. Perhaps that’s why I became a soldier.
I always wanted a son. I’d name him Eric. I could imagine him being a real tough boy but gentle as well. As a second child, I wanted to have a daughter. I was still undecided on a name, maybe name her Mary? I wanted my kids to be proud of their father, to know that their daddy defended his country with courage.
I never knew when I would die. If I could pick a time to die, it’d be after I see my children’s children grow up. That would be ideal. I never knew I’d see my life bleed away at the age of eighteen.
Everyone has dreams and aspirations for their life. I never let go of mine, I kept them with me as I sailed to the front, treasured them as I fought the battles and watched them slip away as I faded away in the muddy trenches.
I now look around as the world passes by each year. I see men rushing off to work, children playing in the backyard and mothers tending to the clothes - each with their own ambitions and dreams. I notice couples saying ‘I do’ to each other, I watch as firemen race off to the rescue and I look about as sons and daughters head off to school each day. Peace abounds in the air. Freedom roams their lives.
I was never able to experience life like they do, to feel and touch a life’s desire; to marry, to sip tea in the sunset, to play with the grand kids. The things I desired in my life were never realised.
I gave up my dreams so you could have yours.


3 Comments:
can i ask who this guy is?
i reckon it was private jake kovco. hahaha.
very patriotic, dazz. makes me want to sing our beloved national anthem. God save the queen.
is that an actual thing someone wrote? or was that just like somethng you wrote for your blog?
Post a Comment
<< Home