Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A Quiet Night's Thought.

Well I’ve got heaps of time to myself tonight so instead of moping/bumming around I’ve decided to blog about something a bit more meaningful.

Tonight’s thought is about the unconscious mind. By the unconscious mind I mean the things that we do and think about that we don’t realise or have awareness for. It’s kind of a bit iffy so I’ll try to describe it with a few situations.

Sometimes when I’m at the dinner table and my parents cook a treat like crispy pork or chicken parmigiana (both foods which I love) my stomach kicks into overdrive and I end up eating literally kilo loads of food. However, when my parents decide to cook healthy or serve up some left overs like soggy microwaved bits of chicken with tasteless boiled vegetables my stomach decides to suddenly become quite full after only a few mouthfuls of the stuff!

I guess this even extends to the things we like/dislike. For me, I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And I think that pretty much any song they release is gonna be awesome. Now could that be because the RHCP churn out hit after hit… or could it because my mind forces me, moulds me into liking their new song just because they’re my favourite band?

Or even when people tell us things and we end up forgetting it because we don’t think it’s important (it’s a rarity to forget something important) and hence forget, contrary to purposely forgetting (which is an oxymoron if you really think about it). So yeah hopefully you’ll get what I’m on about. If not, endure this babble for a little longer eh : )

And I guess the scary thing is, is that there could be time where we set upon ourselves double standards without even realizing it (am I getting controversial now?) Could we even be racist in our unconscious mind? (cos now I’m getting controversial!) Could we even be breaking the very standards we pride ourselves on time after time again? (a joke now perhaps?)

And you what, I think this kind of thing happens quite frequently. For me personally, I know my unconscious mind has twisted my logic a bit. Like the above examples I gave, at the dinner table I’ve literally been ‘full’ just by looking at the food (haha I know it’s bad). With the forgetting thing, well, that’s just happened to me for too many times for me to remember (which reminds me I gotta fold the clothes for my mum :S). But yeah, in relation to the more ‘interesting’ aspects of this I guess I could say I’ve come to realise certain areas of my thinking of which I never knew I had!

But basically, it’s not like our unconscious thinking can never be revealed… if you picked it up before, when our conscious mind alters the way we treat people, double standards we place upon people, or how we react to different situations, what we normally do changes. For example, I know I don’t have a faulty memory, so it does raise a query when I somehow forget to do a lot of things I deem unimportant. And even in other people (not going into detail) I’ve noticed people saying one thing yet not even realising their current actions contradict themselves. And with that, I feel a fire starting to brew so I’ll end that there. I'll just say that when we see things with an open mind, with a logically thinking mind, these things become unearthed. For now, I’ll go bore myself with something else tonight.

Till next time, cya.

"British men are hot." - Tim Yao

5 Comments:

Blogger liam said...

hmm...i agree with you. mostly. so instead of wasting this comment just agreeing with everything you said and lamenting that i do that too...

You love pork and chicken but hate vegetables??? Talk about supporting the needless slaughter of innocent animals...:p

10:48 pm  
Blogger Dazz said...

hey man vegetables have feelings too! Just look at bob the tomato and you'll see what I mean!

11:12 pm  
Blogger - jaz. said...

hmm. that was real interesting, daryl. i will ponder this more. sorry my comment doesnt really say anything.. haha.

3:02 am  
Blogger hungry said...

LoL... I DON'T THINK OUR PARENTS EXPECT US TO LIKE OUR NOT-FAVOURITES... AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT GO HUNGRY, AND YOU MAKAN... THEN THEY ARE SATISFIED... I MEAN, MY MUM HAS LECTURE ME MANY TIMES BEFORE ABOUT MY FUSSY-NESS... BUT SHE KNOW'S WE SHALL HAVE IT FOR LEFT OVERS, UNTIL IT'S BEEN FINISHED FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK... SO EVEN THOUGH IT AINT PREFREBLE... WE MAKAN IT... (EVEN IN SMALL AMOUNTS) AT LEAST THE DISH WILL BE FINISHED BY THE END OF THE WEEK...

SOMETIMES OVERLOAD OF GOOD FOOD IS NOT GOOD. I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE... LoL... I THINK MY FOLK'S STANDARD IS THAT YOU EAT ENOUGH, TIL YA FULL... DO NOT OVER-EAT, DO NOT MISS A MEAL WE COOK... AND BE ANOREXIC.

IF WORST COMES TO WORST... JUST ADD SALT :)...

11:17 pm  
Blogger - jaz. said...

hmm.. let me be the third person to 'hmm' to your post.
congratulations on making me think on a holiday-day. its pretty cool how powerful our mind can be when we want it to be, and even when we don't. and its funny how something we think is purely mental, can even become physical.. like your umm.. pork. :)

- Lil

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home