Monday, January 07, 2008

Doors

I sit here thinking back to a time when a wise old man said to me; “Sometimes God will open and shut doors in your life to direct your path.” I hardly ever spoke to this man, and the time and place of the conversation could only be described as ‘out of the blue’. It was as if it was planned, staged – but not by him. I couldn’t explain it at the time but I had an overwhelming feeling that that quote would be significantly relevant in the coming weeks.

So here I am now, a few weeks down the track - a door has closed, no, rather a door has just slammed in my face. I stand here, looking at this closed door; confused, sad and perhaps even angry. I feel like a failure for letting this door close; I could’ve, should’ve done things differently. Maybe if I had said yes instead of no; been more forceful; or perhaps, been less forceful; then this door could still been open. Yet amidst my regret, confused mood and depressed heart, that very quote was placed gently on my mind – “Sometimes God will open and shut doors in your life to direct your path.”

I’m still coming to terms as to why this door would be closed – it is contrary to what you would expect. Is it closed for my sake, or for their sake? I don’t have any answers, or to be more specific, any answer. The only thing I can do is trust and pray – 21 years of living has showed me nothing but God’s faithfulness and love in every one of those years. Maybe in the coming future I will once again have the honour and privilege of watching that door open again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home