Take time to smell the roses... and you just might smell love.
It seems like love is truly in the air! Marriages, engagements, Valentine’s day... meh it’s too much to handle! And there’s a lot of birthdays coming up in the next few days too... I wonder if I get them a present whether they’ll think it’s a Valentine’s gift... haha yes that would be interesting :S
And man it's so frustrating trying to find a story you read over 5 years ago, searching through 30 odd Reader's Digest... and finding nothing. Well anyway, here's a Valentine's story, recited from my memory which was originally narrated by a female, whose name I’ve forgotten. It's a true story about a special someone who’s definitely in my life. Enjoy : )
"I remember the first time I received a Valentine's gift. It was in 1990 when I was 14. I was arriving back from school and on the steps of my house was a single, red rose. I was surprised, shocked even. My mum teased me as to who I thought it was. Someone from school, a family friend? I had no idea who my secret Valentine was. I was left guessing who it was all night, my thoughts wondering, dreaming, until I fell asleep.
I thought no more of it until next year, when again, I received a single red rose on the steps of my house. The mystery alluded me. And every year onwards, boyfriend or not, there would always be a single red rose waiting for me.
As the years grew by, I respected this mysterious person. I never attempted to catch him in the act. I cherished the allure that resonated from the rose. The roses uplifted me, giving me a spark of life.
In 1997, my mother was diagnosed cancer. I was quite depressed during the whole affair. But like the many years before, that single red rose on Valentine's day gave me the courage to fight the despair and offered hope in a dire situation. The roses which were a symbol of love gave me the strength to survive each day.
In 1998, when I was 22, my mother died of the cancer she had been battling for over 14 months. And from that year on, the single red roses never appeared again."
Hope ya all have a great week!
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it." - Sam Levenson.
And man it's so frustrating trying to find a story you read over 5 years ago, searching through 30 odd Reader's Digest... and finding nothing. Well anyway, here's a Valentine's story, recited from my memory which was originally narrated by a female, whose name I’ve forgotten. It's a true story about a special someone who’s definitely in my life. Enjoy : )
"I remember the first time I received a Valentine's gift. It was in 1990 when I was 14. I was arriving back from school and on the steps of my house was a single, red rose. I was surprised, shocked even. My mum teased me as to who I thought it was. Someone from school, a family friend? I had no idea who my secret Valentine was. I was left guessing who it was all night, my thoughts wondering, dreaming, until I fell asleep.
I thought no more of it until next year, when again, I received a single red rose on the steps of my house. The mystery alluded me. And every year onwards, boyfriend or not, there would always be a single red rose waiting for me.
As the years grew by, I respected this mysterious person. I never attempted to catch him in the act. I cherished the allure that resonated from the rose. The roses uplifted me, giving me a spark of life.
In 1997, my mother was diagnosed cancer. I was quite depressed during the whole affair. But like the many years before, that single red rose on Valentine's day gave me the courage to fight the despair and offered hope in a dire situation. The roses which were a symbol of love gave me the strength to survive each day.
In 1998, when I was 22, my mother died of the cancer she had been battling for over 14 months. And from that year on, the single red roses never appeared again."
Hope ya all have a great week!
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it." - Sam Levenson.


5 Comments:
wow that was good. very touching.
THOUGHTS EXACTLY... WHERE DID YOU GET THE SHORT STORY FROM? I LIKE! I LIKE! TWAS SO SWEET...
hehe, ditto...
I got it from "Reader's Digest" but I couldn't find the actaul story so I had to kinda tell it from memory :(
retold very well! ^^
might i echo the thoughts of those who have commented before i? what a sweet, touching little narrative.
Post a Comment
<< Home