Saturday, December 11, 2004

Let's Lead.

Yay, I went to bed at 2.30... and got up and 2 and a half hours later (thanks Shawn!). Just thought I’d post a little something before we head off. I’ve been to Merimbula for the past... 4-5 years (?) and I’ve spent my birthday there for the past.... 4-5 years (?). This year I’ll spend 8 hours of it in a car... yay for me! : )

Anyway one of the reasons of the late night was due to the tense ‘debate’ of a particular school. And in it, the concept of leadership of Christian groups was raised. So here’s a few things I thought I’d write about leadership (in schools).

Do you need to be a leader to grow spiritually?
There’s a sad misconception out there that in all facets of Christian leadership, leaders are the ‘closest’ to God. Now there are many leaders out there that are just so amazing and inspiring when it comes to their Christian faith... but does being a leader automatically mean you’re ‘closer to God’ than the members under you. I’d really hope not! Perhaps being a leader does help you grow spiritually but I’d be wary to say that ‘leadership’ is a stepping stone to get closer to God. I know of many fully awesome Christians who aren’t leaders and yet they manage to grow in Christ daily.

Can you still make a difference as a non-leader (of a Christian group etc.) in your school?
Being a leader does increase your recognition (not necessarily influence) from the people around you. But does that mean if you’re a non-leader you can’t reach out to the unsaved people around you? Of course not. People have to start realising that just because they’re not a leader (whether that’s their choice or not) they still have the potential to spread the love of God around to all their friends and family alike. It’s no excuse to say that just because I’m not a leader, I can’t do anything in my school, workplace or at home.

How would you become a leader?
There’s only two way I’ve known to become a leader.

The existing leaders pick new leaders.
There’s a few cons to this approach. One being that you have the potential to miss a lot of good leaders. Another being that a few people could be hurt at not being given the opportunity to lead something they’ve been a part of for a few years. Yes, there’s a lot of negatives that you can derive from those areas but coupled with that, there’s one main positive you can get out of it. This positive being that the leaders that are picked are seen as strong Christians, grounded in their faith. Of course this will only occur if the decision making is spot on.

People volunteer to become leaders.
There’s a few positives to this. ‘Unseen’ people still have the potential to become a leader, regardless of whether they’re seen by the existing leaders or not. This also allows people to be more proactive in wanting to become a leader. The decision to become a leader is brought about not by other’s people’s views on you, but through your own self. However, what if a person, who thinks they’re a good leader but, to put it down to the cold truth, they just aren’t ready/up for leadership? Conflict could arise and double standards imposed.

Would you believe that I’ve just been able to fully open my eyes... and I still feel a force to shut them and get some good ‘ole sleep. 2 and a half hours just doesn’t cut it for me. I just hope my sleep hasn’t deprived me of my thinking. If you disagree with me, I won't be seeing it till next week.

Well it seems we’re heading off soon, wanted to write more, oh well. So if I don’t see you till next year, Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year! God bless and have a safe holiday.

Dunno who wrote this quote, maybe Winsont Churchill, but I guess it fits.

"Leaders take the people where they want to go. Good leaders don’t necessarily take the people where they want to go, but where they ought to be!"

4 Comments:

Blogger g. said...

happy birthday (in merimbula) dazz!

merimbula HAS to be the citylife holiday spot of the century... every summer without fail at least 5 families go on a trip together to merimbula for a happy time of fishing, prawning, and lazing about wondering what to do. awesome!

1:50 pm  
Blogger p.l. said...

Happy Birthday Daryl!
Hope you have fun!

10:04 pm  
Blogger Tim said...

school prayer meetings are overrated anyways.

JOKE! JOKE!

nah being a leader isn't all it's cut out to be, I think nowadays my spiritual peers tend to be non-leaders than leaders, in fact sometimes I do wonder if I should be persuading more people to not lead than to lead.

leadership is good if you're cut out for it but if you're not perhaps u'd have a greater effect and influence where you are.

4:44 am  
Blogger hungry said...

ONLY 5 GUANG?! I CAN GURANTEE A LEAST 10 FAMILIES!!

10:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home