Saturday, October 16, 2004

The hurdles of life

Well last night was... hmmm... how do you put it... a very insightful night. I won’t go into specifics, but there were certain things that I found out yesterday that annoyed the hell outta me. And I suppose, due to my naivety, all this crap hit me in one go... and it wasn’t very pleasant. So even though I was smiling all night, deep down I wasn’t very impressed with a few certain people.

And this kinda led to me being caught up in all my affairs, so much so that I wasn’t intuned to what other people (like my friends) were feeling. There were a few people around me who weren’t feeling the best and I could sense it, but it just didn’t quite register, mainly because I was too caught up in the ‘me’ factor. And as a consequence, I was very insensitive to a few people.

I felt God really challenge me as I tucked into bed last night. A very simple question was asked of me - "Why do I let my children suffer through trials and tribulations?" The answer was two fold.

1. To help us grow and mature.
2. To experience pain and to help others through similar circumstances.

During a three year period, I pretty much went through my own personal hell. I experienced things ranging from depression to isolation to bitter regret. But thank goodness for God and also a few, very supportive, friends which helped me through those years. Looking back at that time, I actually can’t help but smile. I learnt a lot of things about me and the people around me, things I would have never learnt elsewhere.

Romans 8:28 pretty much sums it all up: "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God"

Yes, even the problems in our lives will benefit us! And I guess it took me a while to realise that but the truth of the Word finally sank in. So even though I still experience problems in my life, there is that little verse that reminds me that at the end, I’ll be able to grow in ways otherwise unimaginable.

But it was the second point which really struck me - to experience pain and to help others through similar circumstances. During this last week, I haven’t really felt the best and I guess some of my friends around me just didn’t quite care enough to help me either. I felt kinda let down, but then, there I was on Friday, doing the exact same thing to others. Hmm... it was a very humbling moment indeed.

Ecclesiastes 4:10 says "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

As friends to the various people around us, we have an obligation to help them through their tough times and not just worry about our problems all the time. So I guess, as a thought for today, just be sensitive to the people around you.

"The most beautiful makeup for a woman is passion. But cosmetics are easier to buy" - Yves St Laurent


1 Comments:

Blogger - jaz. said...

i was sober.. but that last quote cracked me up. i think i'd rather passion actualli, i dunno how to apply make-up. ^^

newayz. thanks for that daryl. definiteli sum quality stuff. n remember that i'm always here if u wanna talk, 'kay? praying for.. everybody!

3:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home