The pictures of our mind
I was looking at the paper this morning at school and I came across this very interesting section in The Age. It was a ‘lift out’ that displayed the most memorable photos of the last 150 years. These photos captured defining moments, moments in history that changed the world forever.
And I guess it got me thinking about our life’s photographs - defining moments in our lives that we will always remember, etched in our memories forever. Perhaps it was your first kiss or the time you became a Christian. And in a way it’s surprising that accompanying these memories is crisp clarity, a photograph if you like, embossed into our minds.
If you think back to September 11th, 2001, you could probably recall the exact moment when you first heard about the terror attacks. For me I was cross country skiing around the Vic Alps when the attacks occurred. I remember the teacher telling us and how none of us quite believed him, mainly because camping out in the snow detached us from the world. I remember watching the sun set that day, dieing over the snow peaked mountains and just thinking about my life, and how that day, 3000 people lost theirs.
I dunno where this is going, but I just thought that it’s interesting how I can’t seem to remember to do my bed every morning but I can remember the exact time when my mum told me that a close person we knew died.
And why do we remember some things, but not others? I don’t remember the time when I first heard of the Bali Bombings... did my mind think that that event wasn’t important enough to remember? And what determines what we remember? Is it shock, importance, love, hate or something else?
I’ve never really been the type to dwell on the past, but thinking of these defining moments in my life has kind of made me appreciate the present and the future just that little bit more. It’s made me understand that these past events have created the person I am today, and the things I’m doing right now will determine what I am in 10 years time.
But I guess the ironic thing is that we don’t know what we’re going to remember in the future. There have been many points in my past which have regrettably happened. I never thought at the time, that I would still remember the shameful things I did back then... but here I am, recalling everything exactly the way it happened. And I guess it’s made me realise that the way in which I present myself now, in actions, thoughts and otherwise, will impact the future greatly.
It’s easy to get caught up in the ‘now’ and not even care about the consequences but it is that very attitude which has led to so much hatred and hurt in people’s lives. We really must take ownership of what we say, think and do for the present is the path for our future.
"Housework can't kill you but why take a chance?" - Phyllis Diller
And I guess it got me thinking about our life’s photographs - defining moments in our lives that we will always remember, etched in our memories forever. Perhaps it was your first kiss or the time you became a Christian. And in a way it’s surprising that accompanying these memories is crisp clarity, a photograph if you like, embossed into our minds.
If you think back to September 11th, 2001, you could probably recall the exact moment when you first heard about the terror attacks. For me I was cross country skiing around the Vic Alps when the attacks occurred. I remember the teacher telling us and how none of us quite believed him, mainly because camping out in the snow detached us from the world. I remember watching the sun set that day, dieing over the snow peaked mountains and just thinking about my life, and how that day, 3000 people lost theirs.
I dunno where this is going, but I just thought that it’s interesting how I can’t seem to remember to do my bed every morning but I can remember the exact time when my mum told me that a close person we knew died.
And why do we remember some things, but not others? I don’t remember the time when I first heard of the Bali Bombings... did my mind think that that event wasn’t important enough to remember? And what determines what we remember? Is it shock, importance, love, hate or something else?
I’ve never really been the type to dwell on the past, but thinking of these defining moments in my life has kind of made me appreciate the present and the future just that little bit more. It’s made me understand that these past events have created the person I am today, and the things I’m doing right now will determine what I am in 10 years time.
But I guess the ironic thing is that we don’t know what we’re going to remember in the future. There have been many points in my past which have regrettably happened. I never thought at the time, that I would still remember the shameful things I did back then... but here I am, recalling everything exactly the way it happened. And I guess it’s made me realise that the way in which I present myself now, in actions, thoughts and otherwise, will impact the future greatly.
It’s easy to get caught up in the ‘now’ and not even care about the consequences but it is that very attitude which has led to so much hatred and hurt in people’s lives. We really must take ownership of what we say, think and do for the present is the path for our future.
"Housework can't kill you but why take a chance?" - Phyllis Diller


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home