The Santa Affair
Well I just came back from a three hour exam, the third one I’ve done this year! It was taken in near 30 degree heat, in a large tin shed (it's supposed to be our gym) with 200 other stinking, sweating and panting guys. Yes, life was great!
However, that’s not what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about Santa. During the exam, between each whiff of nature’s own body odour, I came across a question to analyse a letter that a boy had written to his childhood hero - Santa Claus. And this got me thinking to when I was a little boy writing letters to him. You see, I too used to believe in Santa. In my world, there was a red fat jolly guy, flying on reindeer, dispensing presents to all the little kids - little kids like me! Everyone said he was real, my school, my friends and even my parents! Yes, life was sweet. I was happy, cheerful, without a care in the world... and I was a good little boy too!
But then something happened. Yes, you guessed it. At the ripe old age of 12, I was told the truth, the shocking truth - there was no Santa! I felt ripped off, cheated and lied to by the very people I trusted... and I also lost a very dear friend - Santa. I found out that reindeers couldn’t in fact fly, there was no red fat jolly guy and the presents I got weren’t from the North Pole but from the local supermarket. I was shattered, my world had been tipped upside down.
So here I was, in the middle of my exam, too peeved about the loss of my childhood innocence to do any more writing. I mean seriously, WHAT KIND OF PARENTS WOULD LIE TO THEIR ONLY CHILD?!? It made me sick... and it wasn’t the smell of body odour. The year 12 me had been replaced by a very angry, discontent, little dazz. It took me a good 10 minutes to settle down.. there was no reason to get upset, after all I still had the tooth fairy to write letters to. And so then I began the analysis of the letter.
So what answer did I write, you might ask. Quite simply like this: This child has been lied to, manipulated and conned his whole life and this question will soon become irrelevant because once he finds out, he’ll tear this letter to shreds and cry for days. Well that’s what I did anyway!
"Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it." - George Santayana
However, that’s not what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about Santa. During the exam, between each whiff of nature’s own body odour, I came across a question to analyse a letter that a boy had written to his childhood hero - Santa Claus. And this got me thinking to when I was a little boy writing letters to him. You see, I too used to believe in Santa. In my world, there was a red fat jolly guy, flying on reindeer, dispensing presents to all the little kids - little kids like me! Everyone said he was real, my school, my friends and even my parents! Yes, life was sweet. I was happy, cheerful, without a care in the world... and I was a good little boy too!
But then something happened. Yes, you guessed it. At the ripe old age of 12, I was told the truth, the shocking truth - there was no Santa! I felt ripped off, cheated and lied to by the very people I trusted... and I also lost a very dear friend - Santa. I found out that reindeers couldn’t in fact fly, there was no red fat jolly guy and the presents I got weren’t from the North Pole but from the local supermarket. I was shattered, my world had been tipped upside down.
So here I was, in the middle of my exam, too peeved about the loss of my childhood innocence to do any more writing. I mean seriously, WHAT KIND OF PARENTS WOULD LIE TO THEIR ONLY CHILD?!? It made me sick... and it wasn’t the smell of body odour. The year 12 me had been replaced by a very angry, discontent, little dazz. It took me a good 10 minutes to settle down.. there was no reason to get upset, after all I still had the tooth fairy to write letters to. And so then I began the analysis of the letter.
So what answer did I write, you might ask. Quite simply like this: This child has been lied to, manipulated and conned his whole life and this question will soon become irrelevant because once he finds out, he’ll tear this letter to shreds and cry for days. Well that’s what I did anyway!
"Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it." - George Santayana


6 Comments:
haha, gutsy answer daryl. i dont remember being quite so upset when i found out there was no Santa.
but yeah, ur right. i dont think i'll be teaching my kids that there is a Santa.. hmm.
NO FAIR!! YOU STILL HAVE BABY TEETH!!...:'(... I HAVE NO MORE TEETH FOR THE TOOTH FAIRY :(
Well I just posted it for a bit of a joke, but thanks Jaz for giving it a moral! Now my blog has meaning! yay!
To all the parents out there: Don't LIE to your kids!
Yer Jess, I'm still a baby! :)
HAAHAAHAA!!
MY PARENTS WERE TOO ASIAN...THEY WERE LIKE 'HUH?' TOOTH FAIRY?!...MONEY?!... I WONDER IF WE GET MORE MONEY IF A TOOTH WITH A FILLING COMES OUT... hMMmmmMMM... THE TOOTH FAIRY OWES ME BIG TIME ;)....
LOL... AND THE HIGHLIGHT FOR MY CHRISTMAS WAS MORE LIKE THE FOOD THAN THE PRESSIES...COZ OF ME B'DAY :D
Nah, according to the Tooth Fairies Association, you'll only get half the amount of money for a tooth with a filling in it. But if the filling is made of gold, then you'll get double!!
And no, the faires don't give money for late applications either.. so they don't owe you anything. :P
And is your birthday on Christmas or something?
Haha Kriselle (sp?) I'll refer you to my first post, don't take me seriously, its the biggest mistake you'll ever make. I'm a joke...really.
And last time i had a wobbly tooth, I just left it, and it healed back in :)
Aww Kevs, why'd ya delete your post? :(
HAAHAHAA! ME B'DAY IS PRETTY CLOSE TO CHRISTMAS...
TODAY, TOMORROW, AND THE DAY AFTER THAT;)
Post a Comment
<< Home